Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter:@PocketMPolishes Instragram:@FrostFromFire
Recently I was going through my oldest nail photos on facebook and spotted a mani that I thought would be fun to recreate. I’ve recently cut down one of my old acrylic brushes to use for nail art and it seemed like a good time to try it out.
As you can see the original was painted on naked nubbins, I used dotting tools for the eyes (which I probably should have done again this time but I was too lazy to dig them out) and free handed the other features. I also painted them upside down… not entirely sure why.
For the recreate I decided to add a splash of colour for added fun: Red: NOPI Kourt Is Red-y For A Pedi (two coats) this has a slightly squishy finish and would probably work for sandwiches. Lovely and bright and easy to apply. Blue: H&M Blue My Mind (two coats) was pretty much opaque in one but added two just to be 100% sure it was even. Yellow: OPI I Just Can’t Cope Cabana (two coats) great yellow formula, slightly thicker for OPI but easy to work with using regular coats and three stroke application. Green: Bondi The Limelight (two coats) similar formula to the yellow, lovely lime green. There were some problems with the Bondi company and I am not sure if they’re still trading but I liked this polish and haven’t found a replacement green the same colour yet.
All of the details were done in acrylic paint but in the original mani they were just regular nail polish so both work. I should have worked at a table for this as having your arm resting on a secure surface really helps with steadiness for detail work. I made sure to leave ample time for the polish to dry before adding details and then again waited before applying topcoat (HK Girl) so not to smudge anything. To get this designs on both hands (if you’re not ambidextrous) you could create the faces using the polish decal method – paint clear polish onto a plastic surface (such as a document wallet) once this is dry paint on your design, leave to dry for an hour. Carefully peel off the design using tweezers, trim to nail design and apply to the nail, use topcoat to seal.
For the extra cartoon factor I decided to topcoat this design using Asda George Matt Topcoat. This is actually a great matte topcoat that is not too cloudy or smelly and dries down quickly and evenly. I am not sure why I haven’t used this before but I will definitely be using it again in the future.
Looking back I am really shocked at how nubbin my nails were and wondering if perhaps my nails are now getting too long… they definitely need a file and some oil. Still, a bit of pampering is a great way to start the week. I hope you all had great weekends and that Monday isn’t being too hard on you!