Stephanie and Charlie Says… It’s our 500th Post!
Happy Holidays everyone! This is Pocket Money Polishes 500th post so Charlie and I are going to collaborate with each other. With the year coming to an end we are going to share with you our top 5 products/things/manis of the year!
In no particular order here are Stephanie’s Top 5 Picks of 2014:
- Favorite Bag(s)- When I went into the city to see the FRIENDS pop up store I also went to another great store called C-Wonder. Their bags are not expensive, super cute, and great for an everyday bag plus they will monogram the bag for you right in their store. It only takes about an hour and its $10! I got my bag with the monogram for under $100! I’ve been using this bag since the day I got it! When I know it’s a cheaper bag I swing it around, stuff it to the max, and throw it around like it’s a brown paper bag but I have got to say it still looks as good as the day I bought it. This is an awesome everyday bag!
- Yoga/Meditation- I know I talked about this in one of my blogs this year but I want this to carry over into 2015. I know I’m a little bit of a gym freak and everything I do or blog about has a fitness outcome (toner arms, bigger butt, etc) but in 2015 I want to incorporate yoga/meditation into my life for balance and inner peace. If you truly are happy, that shows and makes the people around you happy.
- The Bottled Wick- Remember way back to this summer when I talked about wine candles? Well, I still do love them!! I got my candles done back in June and they are still burning! The sent is still as strong from the first day I got them. In fact, I have a beer bottle I want turned into a candle. My boyfriend’s favorite winter beer comes out with a new holiday design each year so we want to start collecting a bottle and turning them into candles! Plus, if you still need holiday gifts this is a cute way to give back. That DIY look, great scents without doing it yourself!
- 3D Mascara- I know I just posted about this product but I swear by it. I wore it twice over the weekend and it just made my eye pop! My lashes were thick, full and sassy. Every time I go out, I will always use this mascara. Plus, I love getting compliments!
- Home Date Nights- Since we bought our house this summer a lot of our date nights have been at home and personally I think they are better than actually going out. In 2015 my boyfriend and I really need to buckle down on our savings so we can finish upgrading the house. We want to re-do the kitchen, paint and all that mumbo jumbo in the second bedroom, and start getting cute things to turn it from a house into a home. Home date nights are awesome. It’s a great way to connect with your partner. My boyfriend and I cook together and help each other out. I set up the table with candles, throw some music on the IPod and chow down. When it’s time to retire into the out room, we turn the fireplace on, have a glass of wine, snuggle up on the coach and catch up on our favorite TV shows. Plus when it is date night, I try new recipes and challenge myself to make a decent gourmet meal.
In no particular order here are Charlie’s Top 5 Picks of 2014 (I have no idea how Stephanie did hers, this is hard – to try and make it easier I focussed on nails!!!):
- Stamping Plate – This year I really feel like I got the hang of stamping and could get really creative with it. MoYou (London) ran a couple of really amazing nail art challenges which I loved taking part in (they are my brand of the year for stamping plates). My favourite plate for this year is the Tourist 17 plate which I think I used nearly every image from and I am looking forward to using again next summer. I have never had a bad plate from this brand and even though this year they hit a rough patch with some bloggers over SEO, I don’t think they have done anything wrong with their customers. I do have a minor issue with their shipping fee when you spend under £15 BUT since I usually order my plates four or five at a time it doesn’t usually effect me. I think this is my favourite design using this plate – I created the coloured flowers using the decal method.
- Nail Art Trend – We’ve had a bumper year for techniques, I think even more than last year DIY nail art has been HUGE and instagram has done amazing things for people. Zoya has decided this year will be the last for their PixieDusts which means it is the end of the textured trend – it has had an amazing run though! From the runways negative space (aka nakedness) really became a mega nail art trend and definitely lends itself to some incredibly chic designs. What is my trend of the year? I think it has to be the charity mani – the community has come out in force to raise awareness on so many important issues and I think it really does show the love and caring spirit in a powerful way.
- Youtube Nail Vlogger(s) – This was a hard choice and ermm I didn’t actually make it as I have settled on two; these two ladies are my MUST VIEWS whenever I go onto Youtube: MissHollyBerries (great reviews of makeup and nail products, watch the bloopers at the end of the videos for extra giggles!) and PhoebeMoon (Saturday Swatch Fest is a weekly highlight for me and I love her collection swatch&reviews ). They both also blog etc. Very genuine, lovely and hilarious ladies. Please do check them out.
- Challenge(s) – When I started the blog last year I did it with a 30 day challenge and the llama time period challenge…ever since then I have dipped in and out of challenges but I have made a massive effort as the year has progressed with two major challenges: first, the AtoZ Series and now the A2Z Series. It is such a great way to connect with other artists and also find new inspiration that I whole heartedly recommend getting stuck in with a challenge if one comes your way. I want to take a second to thank everyone involved in the AtoZs, I am really looking forward to continuing in January!
- Polishes – Ok, so I am rubbish as selecting just one thing… but I thought I would share FIVE of my favourite polishes released in 2014 (in no particular order with links to blog posts for your viewing pleasure):
- China Glaze Choo Choo Choose You (Super unique, I keep meaning to wear this again and then getting distracted…polish addict problems)
- OPI Green on the Runway (Just… LOVE. My perfect duochrome. I still think the Coke Cola collection would have made a better autumn release.)
- OPI The Sky’s My Limit (Mummy Smith adores this blue and this was my only pick from the Mustang collection!)
- OPI Mod About You (ok so technically this is an older polish, but it was re-released as part of the breast cancer duo this year so no excuses for not tracking it down. The PERFECT pale pink)
- A England Fonteyn (I have used this beautiful soft holo so much this year and I paid full price… think I need another bottle soon)
I hope on this day before Xmas Eve you’re happy and healthy – we would love to hear about 5 of your favourite things from this year, so please leave us a comment below!